Excavate Sweden’s amazing Viking history on a small group day tour from its beautiful capital, Stockholm!
Northern Lights Tour in Swedish Lapland
Spend three days immersed in Swedish Lapland, see the Northern Lights, and learn about Sami culture on this unforgettable Swedish adventure.
On day one, we pick you up from your hotel in Stockholm and transport you to the airport for a flight to Luleå in the far north of Sweden. Your tour manager is with you along the drive and flies with you to Luleå. Airfare is included in the price of the tour.
After the one-hour flight, your tour group gets into a Mercedes minivan at the airport and travel to the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Gammelstad. Your tour manager guides you for an hour, and you can spend one additional hour on your own at the site. Audio guides can be purchased at your own expense if you want even more information.
You are then driven to central Luleå for lunch. Lunch is at your own expense, but the tour manager provides you with different food and budget level recommendations. The group then rendezvous at the Luleå cathedral (Domkyrka). It is a very small town, so everything is within easy walking distance. You then have a walking tour for 60-90 minutes with your tour manager. The rest of the day is spent on your own in Luleå. We stay at a hotel in the city (3.5-star hotel).
We start the second day by traveling to Jokkmokk, enjoying the hilly scenery on our journey to the heart of the Sami culture. In the tiny town, we visit Attje, a museum completely dedicated to Sami life and history. You spend two hours in the museum. Entrance fee and a guided tour are included in the whole tour price. You can browse for Sami handcrafts in the museum shop, and the group has lunch at a Sami restaurant, which features reindeer meat.
From Jokkmokk we drive to Kiruna, the northernmost city in Sweden. On the way, we make a short stop in Gällivare for refreshments, toilet break, and refueling. As we arrive in Kiruna, you can have dinner in the town and check into your hotel. Afterward, we head to Abisko to catch the Northern Lights. We spend two to three hours in Abisko looking out for the Northern lights. We then travel back to our hotel in Kiruna.
On the third day, we head back to Luleå for a flight to Stockholm in the late evening. We start the morning with a two-hour guided tour in central Kiruna, including the church, built in a national romantic style and often considered the most beautiful in Sweden. It was inspired by Swedish, Norweigan, and Sami building traditions. Then we have lunch in the Kiruna; you choose a restaurant with recommendations from your tour manager.
Afterward, we hit the road for the world-famous Jukkasjärvi IceHotel for a two-hour visit with a guided tour. We then go back to the airport in Luleå and take the late evening flight back to Stockholm. We take a short break for refreshments in Gällivare and Överkalix.
- Two nights accommodation
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
- Airport taxes
- Entrance fees
- Fuel surcharge
- Local taxes
- TripAdvisor Experiences brokerage fee
- Breakfast included at hotels
- Lunch (only in Jokkmokk)
- Bottled water and snacks in the van
- All activities
- Driver/guide/tour host
- Local guide at Sami museum and IceHotel
- Headsets to hear the guide clearly
- Live commentary on board
- Small-group tour (eight persons in Mercedes minivan)
- Transport by air-conditioned minivan
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- Gratuities (optional)
- Extra Information
- Confirmation will be received at the time of booking.
- Minimum age is 18 years old
- Dress code: Prepare yourself for the climate. We provide more information in the voucher after you have booked.
- Please advise any specific dietary requirements at the time of booking (vegetarian option available).
- Minimum numbers apply. There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there are not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of cancellation, you will be offered an alternative or full refund.
- Not recommended for participants with heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Not recommended for pregnant women
- A small amount of walking is involved
- Not wheelchair accessible
- The duration of transfers are approximate. The exact duration will depend on the time of day and traffic conditions.
- Each traveler is allowed a maximum of one medium-sized suitcase and one carry-on bag/backpack. More information in the voucher.
- A current valid passport is not required but recommended on the day of travel.
- Operates in all weather conditions.